I had an amazing time at the IHRSA Convention last week! I learned so much, met so many great people, enjoyed the inspiring speakers, and of course, consumed some great vegan food. I can’t wait to share it all! It takes a little time though, to put all my thoughts into words, so it will take me a little time to complete my report.
In the meantime, I made this salad last week and I want to share the recipe with you. It’s pretty simple (my favorite kind of recipe), but it is also delicious.
I started by making the spicy tempeh taco filling from this recipe. It is really fast and easy. If you want to make your salad gluten free, check the ingredients in your tempeh. Some are gluten free, some are not.
Tempeh Taco Salad
- Tempeh Taco Filling:
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled. Note: For gluten free, check ingredients. Some tempeh is not gluten free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup water
- Mixed greens
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ cup cucumber
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Vegan Ranch Dressing (Here's my favorite recipe)
- ½ tablespoon Sriracha
- For the tempeh taco filling:
- Remove the tempeh from the package and crumble into small pieces.
- Combine the cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add half the onion (reserve the other half for taco filling), and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the tempeh and cook for about two more minutes. Stir in the tamari and the spice mixture. Add about ¼ cup of water. Cook until heated through, the water has evaporated, and the tempeh is slightly browned.
- Set aside
- Combine the chopped greens, tomatoes, onions, yellow peppers, cucumber, corn, and avocado.
- Mix ⅓ cup vegan ranch dressing with the Sriracha (more or less to taste).
- Toss into the salad.
- Add the tempeh and toss again.
- Optional add ins: Vegan Cheese, Fritos
Stay tuned the rest of this week and I will share my report on the convention. Starting, appropriately on What I Ate Wednesday, with my favorite vegan eats!