Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Well, with a high of 122 yesterday, I guess summer is here in La Quinta. If I dared to think that temperatures hovering around 108 were hot, well, I was wrong. All I know is that it is making my last week of training for the Costume Party Run impossible difficult challenging. I even moved my workout indoors on Saturday (video coming tomorrow), something that is almost unheard of for me.

Week 9 2 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Saying 122 is very dramatic, but it is not like I was out running in that. The temps during my runs have been between 80-85, so it is not as bad as it sounds. As you can see in the picture above, I was blessed with some cloud cover for my seven mile run this morning.

Week 9 3 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Week 9 6 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Week 9 4 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

I was also blessed with great running partners for part of the run. We just took the dogs for two miles, it was a little too warm for them.

In my other workout of note, I had my last scheduled interval workout on Wednesday. I’ve had a few headaches this week, not really bad ones in migraine terms, but they certainly don’t enhance any kind of running workout. Fortunately, it was mostly gone by the time (5:45 am) I headed out. I took Penny for a mile, both because she insists and for my warm up. Then I dragged myself back out for my intervals.

I was supposed to do six-half mile intervals. Fail there, but I did manage 12-quarter mile repeats, and I’m okay with that. I’m even okay with the pace, even though I’d hoped to be a little faster by this time in my training. I’ll chalk it up to the heat and be thankful that I was able to get the workout done.

Weekly Recap:  Week 7: June 24-30
Monday Ran 14 miles, but counted it last week.
Tuesday Ran 3 miles, easy, with Alan and the dogs.
Strength: Superball Class: took it into the
gym, used the TRX.
Wednesday Interval Workout: 3 x 1/4 mile intervals
1:52-2:04, plus 1 miles warm up
Thursday Strength: Superball Class in the gym again
Some machines, plus functional stuff
Friday Rest
Saturday Had to work, did a workout in the gym after work.
Video tomorrow.
Sunday: Final longish run. 2 miles with Alan & the
dogs, then 5 more. Taper Time!
Total Miles: 14 or 28, depending on how
you do your math.
Week 9 300x300 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Buddy is soooo photogenic, Modeling my YMX by Yellowman top (review tomorrow), Trying out Huma Chia Energy Gel (review later this week), Lucky day..I found a dollar!

I really picked a great time to start my taper. If it’s too hot, well then I don’t have to run! I’ve been feeling a little burned out anyway (did you see my tips for getting your running mojo back?), so a few easy runs, without worrying about time or distance will be just what the doctor coach ordered.

On the 4th of July, we plan to run the Surf City Run in Huntington Beach. We’ll be doing it as a family, with Alan’s son, daughter-in-law, and our grandkids, which should be tons of fun. Huntington Beach does it up big time for Independence Day, following up the 5k with a parade, and fireworks off the pier after dark.

We’re heading to San Diego next Saturday. The forecast for next weekend looks pretty good at this point, with highs in the low 70s (I may be too cold. Take it back, no I won’t). My costume is almost ready, my body is almost ready.

Week 9 7 300x280 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

Six days and counting until…

Half Medal 2 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6..

How was your training week? Any races, events or competitions?

Signature zps65e035a8 Final Countdown to the Costume Party Run..8..7..6.. Sharing is Caring!

Comments

I had a great training weekend! I went out to run 5 miles and actually ran 6! That’s the farthest I’ve ever ran! And then I did the Dirty Girl Mud Run this weekend. The costume race sounds fun! I can’t wait to see pictures from that race! And I want to know how the Chia Energy Gel is so I’ll be watching for that review!
    Beth P recently posted..Dirty Girl Mud Run RecapMy Profile

• Debbie Woodruff says

I read about your Dirty Girl run. Oh you dirty girl! Sounded like tons of fun. I love runs that feel so good that you don’t want to stop. They happen so rarely.

122!!! My head can’t even wrap around that temperature! My running took a different direction than what I want last week. Which means I’m down to 0 running again. Boo! BTW- your costume is looking good!
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..ConfessionMy Profile

• Debbie Woodruff says

I know. I live here and I can’t comprehend 122. Fortunately it doesn’t happen too often. I can only hope this is not the summer for above 120 temps! I’m sorry about your foot. I hope it feels better quickly so you can get back on the road.

Every time I read about the excessively high temperatures where my fave bloggers live, I feel awful for y’all. 122?! Yikes.

You had a great week this week! Thank goodness for cloud cover and 80 degree mornings. I also love your costume…can’t wait to see pics of the race!

You should link up with Jen and I today for our Marathon Monday party.

xoxo
    Ashley @ Coffee & Macarons recently posted..Weekly Workouts – 06.24-06.30My Profile

• Debbie Woodruff says

Haha! Thanks. I need to try it all on and see how it looks. Make sure my wagging tail won’t annoy me for 13 miles :-)

I can’t imagine that heat! As much as I love it, that might put me over the top and send me to the treadmill also. I’d say it’s still worth it, though, for your beautiful winters.

We are in the midst of our very heavy humidity period. It’s not making heart rate training any fun, I can tell you!
    misszippy recently posted..Four ways to buy local this summerMy Profile

• Debbie Woodruff says

The winters are definitely worth it (or seriously, why would I love here if it sucked all the time?).

I have a hard time in humidity. It is actually quite humid here today, which for us is around 50% (and 101 degrees at 11:30 am). When I try to run in humidity I feel like someone has their hands wrapped around my neck.

• Debbie Woodruff says

I truly hate humidity. I feel like I can’t breathe. Our heat is usually a dry heat (like an oven!). It’s kind of humid today though, around 50% and 101 degrees right now.

Been seeing all the heat stuff on the news! It was not as hot as they said it was going to be here – warm but not the 90s predicted – thank goodness! We headed to Fashion Island Saturday * it was beautiful!

I am glad you were careful! You know to be though. :)

Your July 4th sounds great! Yes, it may be cooler by the beach but you will have fun!

comment luv is being mean to me so: http://truth2beingfit.com/2013/06/30/gratitude-monday-bread-cookies–ac.aspx

• Debbie Woodruff says

I’m looking forward to being by the coast, both Orange Country and San Diego. Nice to hear that the weather is great.

122?! I thought it was hot last week when we went to TX – 105.
    Here in Kansas we are having unseasonably cool weather with highs in the low 80s.
    Your costume is awesome – can’t wait to see the race pictures!
    Kim recently posted..Sometimes Technology Is Scary!My Profile

I can’t even imagine 122!!! This week my workouts were kept indoors. I was going to attempt a warm-up run in 105 degrees {like a half mile} but then I saw wasps flying around, so I ran back inside & did the full workout there!
    Maureen recently posted..Dog Days of SummerMy Profile