I was recently given the opportunity to sample Eureka! Baking Company Bread. I may
talk about this all the time not have mentioned it before, but I love bread. Toast in the morning, sandwiches for lunch, fresh and hot with dinner, I love it all. So this may just be a match made in heaven.
When my package arrived, it was heavier than expected. It was bread after all. When I opened the box, though, I found out why. The kind folks at Eureka! had sent along some fun goodies, including a t-shirt, cloth bags, notepads, and, coolest, orange sunglasses to match the man on the Eureka! logo.
Also included were three loaves of bread! I love the names: Seeds the Day (wheat bread, packed with five seeds, then rolled in more seedy goodness); Saaa-Wheat! (chewy with just the right crunch); and Grainiac (packed with 12 grains). All Eureka! Baking Company breads are USDA organic, certified vegan and contain no HFCS, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
As much as I love bread, there is no way I could eat my way through three loaves before they went stale, so I popped two in the freezer and started with the Saaa-Wheat. The timing of the arrival of my package was perfect, because I had Tempeh Burgers on the menu for dinner. I simply changed things up, and instead we had Grilled Tempeh Sandwiches on Saaa-Wheat bread (recipe below).
In spite of its name, Saaa-Wheat has just a touch of sweetness, which blended perfectly with the nutty flavor of the tempeh. The bread has a nice texture, grilled up beautifully without falling apart, and best of all, it tastes great.
For my breakfast toast, I pulled a couple slices of the Seeds the Day out of the freezer just to try. This may be my favorite. It is a hearty bread, a little crunchy, and very flavorful.
I am looking forward to trying the Graniac next. This truly is a match made in bakery heaven.
Grilled Tempeh Sandwich
- 4 Slices Eureka! Baking Company Saaa-Wheat bread
- 1 8 ounce package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup yellow or orange peppers, sliced
- 2 slices Daiya vegan Provolone slices
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Cut the tempeh in half, then in half lengthwise to make 4 square patties. The recipe is for two, so you can use both on each sandwich or put two aside for later.
- Steam the tempeh in a steaming basket for 15- 20 minutes.
- Mix together the oil, Aminos, broth, Sriracha, garlic powder, and Liquid Smoke.
- Place the steamed tempeh in a small flat container and pour the marinade on top. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Preheat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Saute the onions and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Push the vegetables aside and add the tempeh. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and tempeh from the pan.
- If needed, heat another tablespoon of oil.
- Add the Eureka! Baking Company bread. Heat on one side for about 2 minutes then turn over. Place a slice of the Daiya Provolone on 2 slices of the bread. Top with the vegetables. Place the tempeh on the other 2 slices of bread. Carefully, using a spatula, place the tempeh half of the bread on top of the vegetables. Press down firmly.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and grill until the bread is a golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Before serving, add the avocado and mustard.
Overall, I really like the Eureka! Baking Company bread. I appreciate the fact that it is made with whole, organic grains, and of course I am ecstatic whenever a product is clearly marked vegan. It makes my label reading so much easier. If you want more information about Eureka! Baking Company, check out their website or their Facebook page.
Are you a bread lover? Be honest now! And for those of you who stuck with this post until the end, a reward: