While it is a little early to celebrate, the fifth anniversary of my total hysterectomy and instant entry into menopause is quickly approaching. This seemed an appropriate time to discuss the changes I have undergone in the past five years, also because I was recently sent a sample kit from Poise.
Poise offers a complete line of wellness products designed to help women approach changes with confidence.
It’s been almost two years since I posted about my life after menopause. I took a look back at that post and realized that, while many things have changed, most especially my fitness and training, some things have not, specifically my migraines and occasional issues with my hormone replacement therapy.
I am really excited that for the first time since before my hysterectomy I am actually training for a half marathon. Yes, I have run one or two half marathons a year, but beyond running enough to build the appropriate endurance, I didn’t do any other training. My times showed it of course, they were generally around 2:10 or so, not too bad considering the lack of training, but still, I felt I could do better. Now that I am currently in week eleven of my La Jolla Half Marathon training plan, I feel that I can improve my time, run a stronger race, and even recover better afterward. Time will tell!
I had a very fast recovery from surgery. I was back to work in eight days, felt good from the very beginning, was able to get back to most of my regular activities within a couple weeks. I am sure that my great recovery was due in large part to being in excellent shape before my operation. Menopause has not always been so easy, though. I have written about my search for the perfect hormone replacement (if such a thing exists). In my fantasy, my energy level would always be high, my migraines would disappear, and the words “hot flash” would not be a part of my vocabulary. My reality is somewhat different. While I usually wake up well rested and ready to face the day, I find that by midday my energy will slack off. Now, that could be many things, including 1) High energy expenditure in the mornings, my main exercise time, 2) My hypothyroidism, for which I’ve been taking medication for several months (darn, need to remember to go get that follow up blood test!), and 3) my, ahem, age. While 55 is certainly not old, it is not 25 either, and one can expect some changes due to time. Then there are my migraines. I was so hopeful entering menopause that, as many older women had told me had happened to them, my headaches would disappear. That was not to be in my case, and I still get frequent headaches which blossom into a full-blown migraine once a month or so. I guess I should be used to this, it has been going on for 45 years, but I was so hopeful at the beginning of my journey through “the change.” I still have a really outstanding hot flash from time to time, though, and that brings me back to the Poise sample kit that I received last week.
One of the items in my sample kit was Poise Body Cooling Towelettes. According to the package, the towelettes offer an instant cooling sensation that can provide hot flash comfort. Oh, yes, I’m in. Since most of my hot flash moments occur at night, I took the convenient re-sealable pouch and placed it by my bed. When I awoke that same night feeling uncomfortably warm, I first moved a couple dogs, kicked off my covers then reached for a Poise Body Cooling Towelette. I fell almost instantly back to sleep. I have used Poise Body Cooling Towelettes several times since then and they always provide me with cool comfort.
The Poise Feminine Wellness line, which was the 2013 Product of the Year, consists of five products designed to help provide comfort when experiencing some of the changes such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and vaginal odor. Millions of women already rely on Poise for discreet protection from light bladder leakage, and now Poise offers a unique line of daily products specifically designed to help women with staying cool, feel fresh, and intimacy. The line includes:
- Roll-On Cooling Gel helps you feel comfortable and refreshed. Squeeze the tube and gently roll the cooling gel on wrists, chest or neck for a cooling sensation that lasts up to 10 minutes.
- Body Cooling Towelettes offer instant cooling and refreshment. Gently wipe the towelette on wrists, chest or neck to feel cool and comfortable. Featuring a portable, re-sealable package, these towelettes are easy to use anywhere you go.
- Personal Lubricant designed to enhance your intimate experience. This lubricant features an easy to use bottle and is made without Fragrance, Glycerin or Parabens.
- Panty Fresheners have a fresh and clean scent that lasts up to four hours. These discreet, hypoallergenic fresheners stick to the outside of your undergarments so you can confidently go about your day.
- Feminine Wash provides daily freshness with a unique formulation that is pH balanced for your intimate area. Glycerin and paraben free, this gentle wash will help you feel clean and confident.
For more information about the Poise Feminine Wellness Line and to sign up for a coupon or sample, visit Poise’s Facebook page.
And now for the sweepstakes – How are you approaching life’s changes confidently? Each comment will be entered to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 4/04/13-4/30/13.
Be sure to visit the Poise brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!