What I’m Eating: The Simple Truth

I am not a perfect vegan. Just like many other busy people, sometimes I depend on convenience foods to get dinner on the table. I don’t feel guilty (too much) about this, because my motivation to eat a plant based diet is ethical, not for health purposes. That being said, I try to eat mostly whole foods, stay away from over-processed, chemical-laden packaged food. But…

Driving home from work recently, I was feeling pretty tired and drained. The time change, combined with a busy weekend, left me low on energy. Since I tend to do my dinner planning on the drive home, I decided to stop by Ralphs and pick up some vegan chick’n fillets. I envisioned serving them with a mushroom gravy and Brussels sprouts.

As I was grabbing the package out of the freezer, I happened to notice some packaged food that I’d never seen before. It was a brand called Simple Truth and they offered a variety of meat free choices (see the picture below). There was no “V” for vegan on the package, but a quick look at the ingredients indicated that they were definitely animal product free.

Ralphs What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

When I pulled out a package to check the ingredients, I got an even bigger surprise when I saw the Kroger label. I can’t tell you how excited I was to see that a mainstream grocery chain like Kroger, which operates the Ralphs supermarkets in my area, plus Smiths, Baker’s, City Market, and many others, is selling what is basically a generic version of vegan convenience food.

ralphs2 What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

ralphs4 What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

From the Simple Truth website:

ea2c3401 e33a 4c80 b59f d2339e54d0ce What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

Ironically, I couldn’t find any of the vegan food listed on the web page. They must be really new.

So, loaded with my Simple Truth purchases, I changed my meal plan. Well, almost the same, but this meal was total comfort/diner food. I used the Simple Truth Crispy Patties, grilled them on the stove top, then made a mushroom gravy. If a 50s-style diner served vegan food alongside their meatloaf, this would have fit perfectly on the menu. Crispy “chicken,” served with the baked potato and mushroom gravy. Very tasty.

ralphs8 What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

Just to show that there is no limit to my laziness creativity curiosity interest in new and amusing foods, I also found a new Gardein item, Meatless Sliders. I’ve never had a “Meat” slider, but I thought these sounded kind of fun. I haven’t tried them yet, but I suspect I may have a new addition to my standard “football fare.”

ralphs6 What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

Okay, so I’m not a perfect vegan or perfect “clean” eater, but overall I eat pretty healthfully, harm no animals, and certainly enjoy my food.

How about you? Do you give in to “tired mom syndrome” or “working woman condition” from time to time? What is your favorite “easy” food?

Signature zps65e035a8 What Im Eating: The Simple Truth

Comments

I saw these the other day! I do wish the Kroger here had better prduce, becasue they do a great job of getting/making some alternative products.

No shame in lazy food! I used to be “worse” about it, but after watching sodium I do much less prepared food… which means I became a champ a freezing leftovers! That said, I love Lightlife veggie burgers.
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Quick Breakfast Bread Pudding + WIAWMy Profile

That’s great! My favorite go to is veggie burgers from Dr. Praeger’s. No junk with real veggies in it! Sometimes convenience wins and it’s great that retailers/grocers are getting in on the vegan train.
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..LatelyMy Profile

That’s so awesome that grocery stores are moving to accommodate more eating styles. I love seeing this! I have to admit, everybody eating super fresh and raw all the time sometimes makes me feel bad. But frozen food is there for ya when life gets a little TOO crazy. ;)
    Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Bring On the AdventureMy Profile

We have spaghetti issues at my house. When we don’t know what else to make then you get spaghetti,. And, yes, the sauce is from a jar. I wish we still had Krogers out by my hojse so I xould check this out.
    Carli recently posted..Pilates: Benefits #YQAMy Profile

I was also thrilled to find the simple truth line at Kroger. I am not vegan but they have a all natural PIZZA made with whole ingredients and whole wheat crust! If I’m gonna eat pizza this is the way to go! I am buying so many of these simple truth products now.
    Lea recently posted..A Dummies Guide to Buying Running ShoesMy Profile

mmmm these sound good! I will have to google to see if I can find close to home! maybe at an earth fare or a whole foods…I like the morning star farms chik n patties, and knowing what a real chicken patty tastes like, I am always amazed at how close to the real thing they taste like, minus all the “mystery” parts of an animal! I keep meaning to tell you I finally tried tempeh….i liked it FAR better than tofu, but I still don’t know if i prefer it over processed soy product like a vegan burger, etc…at least I finally tried it!
    fizzgig recently posted..I Love a Challenge…My Profile

7. Tracy Winslow says

I’m mildly certain that Gardein makes the Simple Truth products such as chick’n strips or patties as well as Trader Joe’s meatless products. If you look at the packaging there’s a odd similarity and they are all made in Canada- either there’s a sudden growth in this industry there- or they all come from the same place.

• DD says

I believe simple truth chicken was just recalled along with foster farms…….. My understanding is that simple truth chicken simply comes from foster farms. Cornocopia gave simple truth products a 1 of 5. Yall might want to be careful………..

8. DD says

It appears to “Simple Truth” is marketed Mostly females. as Most men i spoke with, said theyve known for a while simple truth products arent what they seem…..Best check it out ladies.

Strange, most of the men I know wouldn’t know Foster Farms from Simple Truth from any other company that processes chicken. And marketing to women makes sense since women do most of the shopping, meal planning and cooking for their family. Which, by the way, doesn’t mean they are not intelligent enough to see through marketing schemes.

And again, this post was about the VEGAN chicken options. And I stated that while I knew that they weren’t necessarily the healthiest choice, sometimes convenience wins. They still aren’t dead chickens and that’s what counts to me.
      Debbie Woodruff recently posted..Striving for Balance: The WorkoutMy Profile