The Most Horrible Day

My apologies if I didn’t reply to your email, tweet, comment or call yesterday. I was busy having a most horrible day.

It started Thursday at about 1:00 am when I woke up with a migraine. It didn’t seem serious at first, but enough so that I got out of bed to take my medicine. With migraines it is always helpful to take the medication as soon as possible.


photo credit: Laurent Hamels / Getty Images stock

Unfortunately, this time the meds didn’t work. I was up and down all night, I took a different medication (I have two go-to drugs that are usually pretty effective), which didn’t do anything either.

Adding to the problem was that I had to work at 5:30 am. It is a little difficult to find people to cover for you in the middle of the night. My assistant is already out with a back issue and my summer staffing is light. Very light.

So, I dragged myself into work. I did have one person scheduled from 9-noon, originally to cover while I taught a couple classes. Instead I cancelled the classes and lay down in one of our massage rooms (yes I am fortunate to have those), covered with a blanket and a heating pad. I was freezing all day, hard to believe in 108 degree weather, but we do keep the gym temperatures cooler. When I wasn’t covered with the hot pad, I was sitting in the sauna, just soaking up the heat.

I was unable, though, to find someone to come in and close. On the bright side, we close at 5:00 pm during the off-season. (See, even with a migraine I’m a glass-half-full type of gal!) That still made for an almost 12 hour workday, not to mention a half hour drive at either end of it.

My fitness center is located in a small, close-knit community, so I know the members pretty well. And they know me, too. One look at my washed out, unmade up face, and bland expression (although I managed a smile), was enough for people to ask what was wrong. (Sorry, bad blogger, did not take a self-portrait yesterday.) And they were very sweet, too. One woman suggested that I just close up and go home (she would back me up with the board :-)). When we were near closing, one man went around and lowered all the blinds for me, then carried the water dispenser to the kitchen so I wouldn’t have to lift anything.

Throughout the day, I was unable to keep any food down. I tried light meals, a banana, oatmeal, a slice of toast, but everything pretty much came right back up. I tried to drink as much water as I could to avoid dehydration, but that was probably pretty impossible.

Finally it was time to go home. Another bright side point: My air conditioner, which had been out for about a month, was fixed a couple days ago. If you’re going to be miserable, at least do so in air conditioned comfort. Driving when you’re sick is probably similar to driving drunk, even if not against the law, per se. I had to be careful and focus on everything, and made it home safely.

Once home, I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade G2 for re-hydration, then off to bed. Alan already knew he was on his own for dinner and my stomach was still queezy, so no food yet. This headache had already gone on longer than I expected it to and I just wanted to sleep it off. With my dogs surrounding me on the bed, that’s what I tried to do.

I got up once, around 7:00, tried a very small bowl of cheerios, which stayed down (hurray!). I woke up briefly when Alan came to bed, then at 10:30 I got up because I was so hungry I couldn’t fall back to sleep. This time I tried a slice of toast with a little peanut butter. Again, success.

I expected to wake up this morning with the headache gone, feeling even better than normal by comparison. Alas, that was not to be. While I feel so much better today, the dregs of a headache remain, even now as I sit writing this. But, nothing, and I mean nothing like yesterday. And I can eat today, working my way up from toast and oatmeal (love the bland food when not feeling good). Fortunately, today someone is coming in to close, so I just have a regular work day.

So, that’s my sob story. It might be hard to understand if you don’t get migraines. If so, count your blessings. And thanks for listening to me whine.

Do you get migraines? Know someone who does? If so, what medications do you use (I’m always on the hunt for the perfect pill).

 photo Signature_zps65e035a8.png Sharing is Caring!

Need a coach to help you reach your running goals?

LogoI am an RRCA certified running coach and I also hold a Level One USATF certification. I have more than 12 years experience coaching runners of all ages and levels. More information...


  1. says

    Oh the migraines that wake you up in the middle of the night are usually the worst and the really bad ones have that fun migraine-like-hangover thing the next day. Summer is the worst for migraines. Congratulations on making it through!!
    Sarah (appifanie) recently posted..Cake!My Profile

    • says

      All my worst migraines start in the middle of the night. I seem to wake up when it’s already too late for the meds to work. Feeling much better today, though.
      Debbie recently posted..Ventura BoundMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge