Spinning Along (and Kittens!)

I always say this when I write about work, but I don’t often write about work. Oh, I write about training and coaching, and the classes I teach, and I’ve been filming my vlogs there (after hours, of course), so I guess I should say I don’t often write about things relating to my workplace.

I am the fitness director at a small fitness center located in a country club in Rancho Mirage (Playground of Presidents). We have a cardio and strength room, a group exercise room, two spa treatment rooms, and last fall, we added a Pilates reformer (plus a second one in February).

Being in a country club, we tend to have an older population, with an average age close to 70. But fitness center users tend to be younger and more active, plus there’s been a bit of a shift in country club memberships lately toward a younger crowd. So to keep the youngsters happy (in my world, those are people in their 50s), we just added this:

eSpinner

It’s an eSpinner®! Made by StarTrac, the eSpinner® is a high-tech spinning bike, that has an on-board computer complete with personalized programs and your own personal master spin instructor. Without sounding too much like a commercial, just let me say this, “it’s really cool!” Now we can offer what amounts to spin classes for the members who are interested, without having to find a dedicated space, invest in multiple spin bikes, or pay an instructor.

eSpinner

I’m not sure what the instructor’s name really is, but one of our members called him Troy, and that seems to fit.

I don’t usually work out at my own fitness center, but I had to try it out today. I just did a mid-level, short program and I’ve got to say, it kind of kicked my butt. I definitely need more interval training in my life!

eSpinner

In other news, Alan is again fostering a litter of kittens. When you care for feral cats, it seems that no matter how many you get spayed and neutered, there is always another litter coming along.

kittens

kittens

And finally, I just completed four weeks of my 30 day Yoga Challenge! That’s right, 28 days, never missed a day, feeling great, want to keep this up, yoga challenge. I only have two more days to go, but I plan to keep yoga a big part of my life. I want to continue to practice most days, if not all.

Today, instead of going to the gym, Alan cleaned his bike and I had the time for an hour audio, Power Vinyasa Flow from YogaDownload.com. Aside from the strength and mental benefits, I can now hold Bakasana (crow) for about 15 seconds, and the other day I did a tripod headstand without toppling over! I am so proud.

I plan, for the last two days of the challenge, to finish up with style and head to my favorite Vinyasa class at Yoga Central (we regulars call it the Yo-C), tomorrow with my fave instructor April, Sunday with a new instructor, which is also exciting.

So we’re off to an exciting, active weekend? What are your plans? Do you enjoy spinning? Have you ever tried the eSpinner?

photo Signature_zps65e035a8.png Sharing is Caring!

Comments

I’ve seen these at my gym! I think I tried it once but couldn’t turn it on, like it needed a key or something. I’m going to ask next time I go in, because it would be awesome to use this machine when the class gets full!! I swear that every time I rush to go to spin class after work, the bikes are completely taken :(
    Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..I Tried Zumba and Fell in LoveMy Profile

I agree with you about treadmills, etc. Boring! I don’t know how often I’ll use the eSpinner because I really don’t care to work out at work, though I may make myself stay after we clos (we’re an off-season country club gym and we close at 5 pm).
      Debbie recently posted..Spinning Along (and Kittens!)My Profile

Awesome spin bike! Kev and I have two spin bikes in our home gym so yes we love spinning. Previously we were members of a gym but they kept changing class times and music on us so we decided it was time to just remodel the garage into a home gym. It’s awesome.

Cute kitty’s! Over the last 3 months our kitty fractured/broke his little leg TWICE. It’s been a challenge, he’s been in a dog crate since and it might be another 10 weeks until we can let him out. We are all a bit stir crazy!

This week hubby went to OKC for a Thunder Finals game and to visit our 5 month old grand baby. I’m home with the ‘kids’ aka the pets since we can’t leave kitty with anyone at this point so I have been working, cleaning and I got out to some quick errands. Exciting life I tell ya.
    Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Workout With Pinterest: Fitness For Everyone!My Profile

I have a grandchild on the way!

Your poor kitty! He must be very adventurous to be breaking his leg twice! My hubby takes care of the feral cats in the neighborhood, plus we have two indoor cats, so every day is a feline adventure.

How cool to have spinning bikes at home! One of these days I will venture out and join a spin class. I tend to be an outdoor exerciser who likes to get active thing done very early in the morning, so it is hard to commit to things like classes that take place after work.
      Debbie recently posted..Spinning Along (and Kittens!)My Profile

oh my..i am trying to get past the adorable cat bottle photo….eeek!!

I love when i see the personal trainers at my gym working out at the gym!
    you look up to them so much, so when you see that they also have to work out, it makes it that much easier for you….(according to me!) I assume that they are fit naturally, so when i see them sweating on their own, it is very inspirational!!
    fizzgig recently posted..Gone, But Not Forgotten…My Profile

They are cute, aren’t they? Unfortunately, the mama has moved them, so were not sure where they are right now. Hopefully they’ll wander back soon.

I encourage my trainers to work out at my fitness center. I don’t usually do so, unless it’s after hours, because as the director, it’s like I’m always “on.” I’d rather head to World’s or my little LQ gym, where no one knows who I am.
      Debbie recently posted..Yoga Challenge: Complete!My Profile