After I sent out my plea for a media pass the other day, I received an email from Andrew, representing Humana. While I did not get an invite to the Health Matters Conference, I was invited to the unveiling of the Humana Well Being Tour.
Humana has designed a Mack tractor trailer that will travel across the country to attend events similar to the Humana Challenge to raise awareness and challenge people to make healthier choices. At the event, as a person with press access, I would have the opportunity to experience first hand the new facilities. Members of the media (me included!) would compete against members of the PGA and LPGA tour on smoothie bikes and Xbox “Your Shape.” We would also meet Raja Rajamannar, a chief executive at Humana, who would be on hand to give a tour and brief presentation.
In case you don’t know what a smoothie bike is, one uses “pedal power” to operate a blender bike and create your own smoothie. How fun is that?
In addition, the Well Being Tour has Biometrics stations, where you visit a (non-invasive) biometric screening station and receive personalized results, a Photo station where you can share physical feats using green screen technology, and a Well Being Wall, where you join in a living collage by sharing your personal definition of well-being. Visitors to the Well Being Tour can also receive a pedometer with an RFID tag through the HumanaFit program to track their steps during the tournament.
Unfortunately, as excited as I was about the Well Being Tour and about the overall healthy focus of the Humana Challenge, I had a previous commitment and was unable to attend. I felt really badly about this, but Andrew was nice enough to send me some pictures from the event as well as a post-event press release, all of which are reprinted below. All photo credit to the Associated Press.
Humana Launches National Well-Being Tour as
Humana Challenge Begins
Following unveiling at Humana Challenge, mobile wellness center to travel country encouraging healthy behaviors
LA QUINTA, Calif. –– January 18, 2012 –– Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health care companies, today debuted a mobile wellness center as part of a nationwide health initiative. The Humana Well-Being Tour, a 53-foot, custom-designed tractor trailer, is an interactive hub that will tour the country for eight months and meet people where they live to give them a fresh perspective on healthy living.
The Well-Being Tour, launched today on the first day of the Humana Challenge golf tournament, is an interactive wellness hub with activities designed to engage and educate including:
- Walkit: People will receive a pedometer with an RFID tag through the HumanaFit program to track their steps during the tournament and beyond.
- Humana Bike Stations: Visitors will use “pedal power” to operate a blender bike and create their own smoothies, or power their way to a glass of water.
- Humana Biometrics Stations: Participants will visit one of four (non-invasive) biometric screening stations to receive personalized health results and ask questions of qualified professionals.
- Xbox Kinect: People will experience the Humana co-branded Xbox Kinect “Your Shape” game that demonstrates how being healthy can also be fun.
- Photo Station: Visitors will share physical feats using green screen technology.
- Well-Being Wall: People will join in a living collage by sharing personal definitions of well-being.
Following the debut of the Well-Being Tour at the Humana Challenge, the mobile unit will make stops across the country through September. During this time, the Tour will visit multiple PGA TOUR events, Humana guidance centers, multi-generational playground construction sites and various health-focused venues.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
In his last email, Andrew invited me to visit the Challenge and take a look at the Well Being Tour. I promised to try, this weekend when I have some time. I really want to take a ride on that smoothie bike!